Avocados are one of my favorite savory fruits, I love having them with my breakfast on toast, diced with seasoning on top or with freshly chopped tomatoes, and I also put them in my hair! These fruit are PACKED with vitamins and nutrients benefits ranging from mood improvement to cancer prevention. Studies have found connection between avocados in: weight loss, increased mortality, and decreased risk of diabetes, heart disease and obesity.
Vitamins and Nutrients:
- Vitamin B6 - Mood enhancement, cardiovascular and nervous system function
- Vitamin C - Growth, development and repair of all body tissues [hair, skin, teeth, bones, etc]
- Vitamin E - Balances hormones, protects against air pollutants, powerful antioxidant
- Vitamin K - Bone and cardiovascular health
- Potassium - Electrolyte and nervous system function, and anxiety and stress relief
Weight Loss and Mood
The aforementioned nutrients are partly the reason why avocados are great to pair with a meal to fill you up. Avocados are high in fiber, fiber contributes to the healthy digestion of food. Although, avocados are high calorie you should not avoid them when you are moving toward a low-calorie diet or trying to lose weight. On the contrary, when they are incorporated into meals, in moderation, they increase satisfaction ,and over time your appetite will decrease [also referred to as satiety]. Actually feeling satisfied by your meals turns diet-ing into your diet, from something that you're actively doing to a habit that is first-nature; a sustained lifestyle change.
The strong presence of Vitamin B6 and Potassium is credited with mood enhancement. My aside, when you are not extremely hungry or dissatisfied with what you are eating you are happier (there is no scientific research for that one, I don't think)!
Let's be happy with our food, and ourselves.